- Health & Safety Specialist
- Quintana, TX, US
- Posted On: 03/11/2019
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Job Class: Operations
The Health & Safety Specialist reports directly to the Occupational Health & Safety Superintendent. Under general supervision, implements programs, policies, procedures and processes in support of FLNG’s Health and Safety strategies, including but not limited to: emergency planning, emergency response, industrial hygiene assessments, accident prevention, investigations, root cause analysis, safety compliance issues, aspects of safety management systems, process safety, behavior based safety process, contractor safety and assist with other general safety, health and environmental tasks. Also, maintains good working knowledge of a wide variety of health and safety regulations and issues, as well as proposed changes. The Health and Safety Specialist is responsible for performing safety tasks to ensure compliance with the various federal, state and local regulatory requirements in-support of the LNG and pipeline operations. Other duties may include coordinating regulatory inspections, performing regulatory audits, inspections & tasks, providing technical advice to operations/maintenance, conducting training, assisting in the preparation of presentations and technical reports, as well as interpretation of data.
Has knowledge of LNG or other cryogenic hydrocarbon liquids, transportation, storage and commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the safety field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
Additionally responsible for assisting the health, safety and environmental compliance efforts at all FLNG facilities within guidelines set by the Occupational Health & Safety Superintendent. This includes safety, health services, environmental, security, pipeline transportation, process safety and responsible care functions in an effort to minimize occupational and environmental accidents, injuries and hazards. Work closely with operations and maintenance on permitting of work, field verification, and proper completion of the permit process.
Essential Functions & Duties/Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and oversight to field Safety Specialist.
- Assists in managing content server program in areas associated with safety aspects.
- Manage all safety related documents.
- Perform process safety related reviews/audits. (HazID, Hazop, Alarm Rationalization, PSSR)
- Provide oversight for contractor safety.
- Will act as a liaison for contractor onboarding.
- Conduct safety training sessions as necessary; schedule & facilitate sessions with internal and external instructors.
- Assist in coordinating emergency response drills and exercises with outside agencies
- Source additional safety material and/or make suggestions on new safety topics/initiatives.
- Work with management and training coordinator to develop a safety training plan for each position.
- Assist in annual safety training needs analysis.
- Lead internal audits & compliance effectiveness regarding safety.
- Conduct field audits of active work permits.
- Audit and maintain completed work permits for designated time for regulatory compliance.
- Conduct observations and feedback as part of our BBS process.
- Conduct inspections of FLNG facilities operations and maintenance activities relative to OSHA Standards and other regulatory agencies.
- Liaison with the Emergency Response Coordinator concerning Confined Space Permits, Hot Work Permits and Critical Left Permits in an auditing and communications role.
- Consult with company management to confirm safety program objectives are identified and met.
- Develop proficient knowledge of the various regulations and laws applicable to all FLNG facilities and be able to explain them to management.
- Represent and serve as the safety representative to the various regulatory and community agencies
- Will be at times the lead representative of the company for audits in health and safety matters.
- Own and track the plant incident database.
- Perform root cause analysis for incident investigations.
- Will be lead investigator at times.
- Produce and maintain Safety and HSSE records and reports as required by governmental agencies and FLNG.
- Stay well-informed of changes in laws and regulations that impact the safety program and recommend changes needed for compliance.
- Manage SAP Environmental Health and Safety modules
- Proactively and continuously improve HSE and other site related training.
- Actively track and schedule periodic health related programs such as employee audiometric testing, respirator fit tests, employee physicals, etc. as required to ensure regulatory compliance and fitness for duty.
- Assist Industrial Hygiene staff in execution of exposure assessments and sampling plans.
- Provide oversight as needed of IH contractors, consultants and recommendations.
- Work closely with all personnel to impact and influence the FLNG HSSE Safety culture.
- Other duties assigned and deemed necessary by management
Minimum Qualifications/Work Experience
- Associates Degree with 7+ years HSE experience in LNG, NGL or chemical plant and/or High School Diploma with 9+ years HSE experience in LNG, NGL or chemical plant.
- TWIC card credential with the ability to maintain
- CPR, First Aid certified or the ability to become certified
- ASP Certification
- B. S. Degree with preference in Health, Safety & Environmental or Occupational Safety with 5+ years of experience in LNG, NGL or chemical plant.
- Ability to become familiar with LNG specific regulations in short order.
- Proficient use of computers, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of safety and environmental regulations.
- Process Safety knowledge base and experience
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results within a team environment
- Demonstrated Responsible Care values
- Expert on occupational safety and health laws and regulations
- Working knowledge of Root Cause Failure Analysis for incident investigation
- Knowledge on Industrial Hygiene principles and execution
- Team Leadership/Organizational Networking skills
- Risk Evaluation/Management
- Effective use of policy/guidance documents
- Continuous Improvement
- Strong leadership ability
- Problem solving ability
- Understanding the business – results driven; priority setting
- Must be able to interface with and influence the Terminal Management Team and all personnel.
- Must possess presentation skills/speaking & teaching in a group environment.
- Make decisions on behalf of FLNG
As specified in the FLNG Authority Limits.
Key Relationships within and outside the Company
Internal: OHS Superintendent, Production Manager, Operations & Maintenance Superintendents, Regulatory Compliance, Human Resources.
External: Government agencies (FERC, USCG, DOT, OSHA, TCEQ, TRRC, etc.), Training System Vendor(s), Community Agencies (CAER), Brazosport Contractors Safety Council (BCSC)
HSE Roles and Responsibilities
Support the policies, efforts, and programs of Freeport LNG Health, Safety and Environmental Management System. Actively participate in the HSSE Management System Policies. Ensure that HSSE concerns are given priority in all activities completed within their area of responsibility. Implement routine inspections to ensure safe operating conditions.
Working Conditions & Physical Expectations
- Primarily both a typical office environment and field position.
- Ability to move throughout all areas of the facility
- Able to wear all necessary PPE equipment to perform job functions.
- Stand and/or sit continuously and perform job functions for a full shift.
- Physically able to walk, stand, bend, stoop, kneel, reach, twist, lift, push, pull, climb, balance, crouch, handle and move items weighing up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
- Visual acuity corrected to perform job functions. Ability to distinguish color to perform job functions.