- Industrial Hygienist
- Quintana, TX, US
- Posted On: 02/01/2018
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Job Class: Operations
Reporting directly to the Occupational Health & Safety Superintendent, implements programs, policies, procedures and processes in support of the Occupational Health strategies including performing exposure monitoring, conducting noise dosimetry sampling and completing area noise surveys, assisting with indoor air quality investigations, operating and maintaining field testing equipment, and managing data from field investigations; maintains good working knowledge of a wide variety of health and safety regulations and issues, as well as proposed changes. Responsible for performing tasks to ensure compliance with the various federal, state and local regulatory requirements in-support of the LNG and pipeline operations. Other duties may include coordinating regulatory inspections, performing regulatory audits, inspections & tasks, providing technical advice to operations/maintenance, conducting training, assisting in the preparation of presentations and technical reports, as well as interpretation of data.
Has knowledge of LNG or other cryogenic hydrocarbon liquids, transportation, storage and commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the safety field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
Additionally responsible for assisting the health, safety and environmental compliance efforts at all FLNG facilities within guidelines set by the Occupational Health & Safety Superintendent. This includes safety, health services, environmental, security, pipeline transportation, process safety and responsible care functions in an effort to minimize occupational and environmental accidents, injuries and hazards. Work closely with operations and maintenance on permitting of work, field verification, and proper completion of the permit process.
Essential Functions & Duties/Responsibilities
- Design, manage, and conduct industrial hygiene field studies
- Operate and maintain instruments including sampling pumps, calibrators, noise dosimeters, and direct reading gas meters
- Research industrial hygiene sampling methods
- Develop workplace exposure assessment plans
- Conduct training sessions as necessary; schedule & facilitate sessions with internal and external instructors
- Technical report writing as needed and make presentations on IH issues
- Complete data sheets, IH calculations, chain of custody forms, and prepare samples for shipment to laboratory
- Peer review reports for grammatical and technical accuracy
- Work with Training Staff to develop a training plan for industrial hygiene
- Assist in design and sometimes lead and document cross training efforts
- Submit administrative paperwork including expense reports, field reports, timesheets, etc.
- Assist in the development and management of the HSSE budget
- Interacts with other Health & Safety team members to complete objectives
- Assist in conducting workplace ergonomic assessments as required
- Coordinate IH sampling schedules with all departments and affected personnel
- Develop proficient knowledge of the various regulations and laws applicable to the Terminal, LQF, STF, PTF, Pipeline and Storage
- Represent and serve as the IH subject matter expert representative to the various regulatory and community agencies
- Assist in tracking visitor and new hire HSSE orientations
- Attend and participate in monthly Safety/Communication meetings
- Proactively provides input and critique to develop training programs that comply with regulatory and company requirements
- Actively tracks and schedules periodic health related programs such as Audiometric Tests, Respirator Fit Tests, Physicals, etc.
- Participates in development, selection, and implementation of Behavior-Based Safety programs
- Other duties as assigned and deemed necessary by management
Minimum Qualifications/Work Experience
- BS Degree in Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Health and Safety, Engineering, Chemistry, or other closely related discipline
- 5+ years of experience
Preferred: Minimum plus certification as an Industrial Hygienist
- Ability to become familiar with LNG specific regulations in short order
- Proficient use of computers, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Demonstrated working knowledge of health, safety and environmental regulations.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results within a team environment
- Demonstrated Responsible Care values
- Demonstrated community affairs experience
- Effective use of policy/guidance documents
- Industrial Hygiene Exposure Assessment Process
- Ability to learn SAP Health & Safety Management Software
- Continuous Improvement
- Strong leadership ability
- Problem solving ability
- Must be able to interface with and influence the Terminal Management Team and all personnel
- Must possess presentation skills/speaking & teaching in a group environment
- Make decisions on behalf of Freeport LNG
HSSE Roles and Responsibilities
Support the policies, efforts, and programs of Freeport LNG Health, Safety and Environmental Management System. Actively participate in the HSSE Management System Policies. Ensure that HSSE concerns are given priority in all activities completed within their area of responsibility. Implement routine inspections to ensure safe operating conditions.
Working Conditions & Physical Expectations
- Primarily a typical office environment
- Ability to move throughout all areas of the facility
- Able to wear all necessary PPE equipment to perform job functions.
- Stand and/or sit continuously and perform job functions for a full shift
- Physically able to walk, stand, bend, stoop, kneel, reach, twist, lift, push, pull, climb, balance, crouch, handle and move items weighing up to 50 lbs. without assistance
- Visual acuity corrected to perform job functions
- Ability to distinguish color to perform job functions